Part Time Registered Practical Nurse- Mental Health- Child and Adolescent Psych
JOB POSTING #: 242-285-2013
POSITION: Part-Time Registered Practical Nurse
DEPARTMENT: Mental Health – Child and Adolescent Psych
RATE: $26.55 to $27.02 hourly, plus 14% in lieu of benefits
JOB CODE: 5050.2
SHIFTS: Shift Work
1. Effectively uses the Standards of Nursing Practice and the Nursing Process in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating the care of the patient.
2. Provides health teaching to patient and family.
3. Is responsible for making clinical decisions, exercising judgment to ensure best possible nursing care is provided within available resources.
4. Is cognizant of the Hospital Mission Statements and Nursing Philosophy and reflects these beliefs in practice.
5. Participates and is involved in the implementation and practice of a theory based practice approach to nursing care.
6. Is cognizant of and participates in the development of the Nursing and Unit objectives.
7. Responsible for doing Mental Health Status and giving care to both adult and child and adolescent psychiatric patients with a wide range of diagnosis.
8. Responsible for responding to code white situations when needed.
9. Responsible for administering psychiatric medication, and awareness of specific monitoring, for extrapyramidal symptoms, as well as appropriate blood levels.
1. Certificate of competency in Ontario.
2. BCLS competency preferred.
3. Supplemental education in Mental Health with additional training in psychology or the Human Services an asset.
4. Non-violent Crisis Intervention Certification and ASIST an asset.
5. Demonstrated and recent experience in providing assessment, treatment, monitoring and evaluation of patients of all age groups with a wide range of psychiatric diagnosis in an interdisciplinary team environment.
6. Demonstrated excellent therapeutic communication and interviewing skills specific to mental health issues/illnesses.
7. Strong client & family service orientation.
8. Demonstrated skills and experience in psychiatric emergencies.
9. Demonstrated ability to understand, interpret and explain current Mental Health Legislation.
10. Adept knowledge of person-centered care and the recovery model.
11. Knowledge and skills with administering psychiatric medication.
12. Demonstrated patient teaching skills, for both adults and children/adolescents and their families.
13. Positive interpersonal relationships with all team members.
14. Demonstrated conflict management and knowledge of accountability.
15. Strong organizational skills.
16. Ability to work in a high paced environment.
17. Successful completion of the Suicide Intervention Workshop.
18. Knowledgeable in the utilization and care of all mechanical equipment required for patient care.
19. Demonstrated ability to maintain successful working relationships; ability to meet and interact with people in a pleasant, professional, responsible and reassuring manner, both in person and on the telephone; tact, courtesy and alertness in public contacts.
20. Proficiency in English and French preferred.
21. Demonstrated behavior consistent with the hospital’s mission statement and core values.
22. Knowledge of addictions an asset.
Note: Because of the changing nature of the work and work to be done, other
responsibilities and duties may by assigned and qualifications may be adjusted from
time to time.
APPLY TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please place the job posting # in the subject line.
POSTED: June 20, 2013, 16:00 hours to June 25, 2013, 16:00 hours