The presence of family members can be a great source of assistance for staff and comfort for the patient. Family participation in care improves quality of life and quality of care.
SAH has developed the following Visiting Guidelines:
- Visiting hours will be from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm with limited visiting from 10:00 pm to 6:00 am for special circumstances.
- Visiting hours in the Mental Health unit will be from 11:00 am to 1:30 pm and 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm.
- Respecting the patients needs for rest, visitors will be limited to two at a time per patient to enhance the comfort of the patient as well as the comfort and privacy of other patients in the room.
- When isolation precautions are in place, visiting restrictions may be put in place.
- Medical or nursing staff may further extend or may restrict visiting time on the basis of the patient's or roommate's condition at any time.
- Children must be appropriately supervised by an accompanying adult at all times.
- Visiting hours may change from time to time.
- Parents may visit at any time
- One parent is encouraged to stay overnight
Neonatal Intensive Care
- Parents may visit alone or together at any time
- Grandparents and siblings of newborn may visit during regular hospital visiting hours (accompanied by one parent)
Labour and Delivery
- Partner and/or Coach only (two consistent individuals)
- Family may visit for a short time immediately after the birth during recovery room period (at the discretion of the nurse)
- Partner may stay overnight to assist mother when baby is in room
- Partners not staying overnight may visit at any time
- Only children allowed are siblings of newborn
Operating Room Holding Unit
- One person may accompany the patient to wait for surgery
Renal Dialysis, Oncology Clinic, Other Clinics
- One person may accompany the patient during an infectious disease outbreak
- The nurse will allow visitors depending on the condition of the patient
- Parents may accompany a child who is five years old or younger
- One parent may accompany a child who is 5-16 years of age
- All other visitors will be asked to wait in the waiting room
- Staff and Security enforce the Visiting Policy
- This policy is subject to change at any time
- Each department reserves the right to limit visitation and visitors may be asked to leave at any time
- Further visitor restrictions will apply in the event of an infectious disease outbreak