Sault Area Hospital is an amalgamation of the Sault Ste. Marie General Hospital and the Plummer Memorial Public Hospital. In 2002, Sault Area Hospital held its inaugural meeting of a single corporation.
These two hospitals have a long and storied history in Sault Ste. Marie and have been important cornerstones in the building of this community.
Sault Ste. Marie General Hospital
The General Hospital
was founded in 1898 by the Grey Sisters of the Cross
from Ottawa. Taking their inspiration from their foundress, Marguerite d'Youville, their mission was to serve the poor and sick.
|General Hospital circa 1926
The Sault Ste. Marie town fathers had turned to the Grey Sisters on the advice of the provincial Inspector of Asylums and Prisons who urged them, "If you wish a hospital of which the work is serious and lasting, ask the Grey Sisters." They began their work first in a house on Bay Street, then in a newly-constructed 80 bed hospital at the former Queen Street location.
In 1926, ownership was transferred to the Pembroke-based Grey Sisters of the Immaculate Conception. The hospital grew with the city and new wings were added in 1908 (the same year the nursing school opened), 1922 and 1953. In 1963, following a joint fundraising campaign with the Plummer, the hospital was almost completely rebuilt. The General Hospital celebrated its centennial in 1998, transferring sponsorship that same year to the Catholic Health Corporation of Ontario.
Throughout its history, Marguerite d'Youville's spirit of love and compassion for one another and for the poor, the sick and the orphan, has inspired the many caregivers who have dedicated their lives to healing the sick.
Plummer Memorial Public Hospital
|"Lynnhurst", The Plummer Family
Home - donated to the city in 1920
The Plummer Hospital had its beginnings in 1906 when a group of citizens founded the Algoma Benevolent Hospital Association. Eleven years later in 1917, through the efforts of association president Frank Davey and auxiliary president Mrs. R.C. Smith, the association established the first non-sectarian hospital in northern Ontario.
The 18 bed hospital first opened in a house on Albert Street East, with the nursing school opening one year later in 1918. In 1920, the family of the late W.H. and Maria Plummer donated their family home Lynnhurst and the hospital moved to its Queen Street location, changing its name from the Royal Victoria to thePlummer Memorial Public Hospital.
Population growth led to additions to the hospital in 1929 and 1952 and in 1959, the nurses' residence (now Riverview Centre) was completed. In 1962, Lynnhurst was demolished and the Plummer, in cooperation with the General, completed major renovations.
In 1984, the two Red Cross Hospitals in Thessalon and Richards Landing came under the umbrella of the Plummer Hospital. In 1994, the Plummer opened the Renal Wing, last local hospital addition of the 20th century.
Throughout its history, the Plummer has remained committed to providing community-based programs which provide for the needs of the residents of Sault Ste. Marie and surrounding communities.