Social Workers are members of interdisciplinary health care teams at Sault Area Hospital providing service to patients, family members and staff.
A doctor, nurse, the patient, family member or friend can make a referral to social work.
Hospital Social Workers are professionally trained, university graduates. They are registered members of The Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers.
Clinical Assignments at Sault Area Hospital include:
- Medical/Surgical Units
- Oncology Program
- Maternal Child: Obstetrics/Paediatrics
- Critical Care
- Palliative Care
- Long Term Care and Rehabilitation
How Can Social Workers Help You?
- Counselling: to help you cope with illness/disease, high risk social situations, addictions, mental health issues, crisis intervention, assault/violence, trauma, life transition issues, bereavement and palliative care
- Psychosocial Assessments: interviews with individual/parent/family/spouse/partner or significant other, liaise with community agencies, consult with interdisciplinary team members
- Advocacy: work with individuals/families within the hospital and community systems to access supports and services as required.
- Education: primarily for patients/family members/groups